Glorious Gower

 Going away on your own is a bit daunting, isn't it? Will you get bored of your own company? Will you end up arguing with yourself over who has the last sausage from the barbecue? That kind of thing. But regardless, I packed up my camper and headed to the south coast of Wales. And I'm very glad that I did. I mean, just look at that smile!


My first stop was at Oxwich Bay. I have strange memories of this place, as it is both the start and finish of an annual coastal marathon, and one which I did a couple of years ago. But the weather was so good, and because I had a couple of hours before I could book into my campsite, I put my trainers on, and a terrible hat, and went for a run. And it was fantastic! Exhausting, yes, but what a coastline. Met a few people on the way, too, all of whom were somewhat baffled by a middle-aged man huffing and puffing along the trail on such a warm day!

Run done, I headed to the campsite, got all set up, and then headed out on my bike. I was rather excited about this, as I'd recently purchased an electric mountain bike. And you know what? It's fantastic! I think I have a new addiction, because on road it's great, but off road, it's madness!


The great thing about being out on the bike, is that it gives you a good excuse to visit cafes and pubs. So, I was very happy to lean into this excuse with considerable enthusiasm, by having a bite to eat at The View, in Rhossili, where I guzzled down a cockle salad, Welsh rarebit, and calamari, and also enjoyed a refreshing cider!


Then it was back to the campsite to relax with a cold beer, and some music, before getting my head down nice and early so that I was all refreshed for the next day.


Sunday, I was straight out for another run along the coast, which was amazing in the early morning sun. I did have to run through a field of cows at one point, but luckily they weren't all that interested in a sweaty bearded bloke tramping through their land. The views were fantastic, the air crisp, and I even saw a buzzard or two.


Run done, it was time to head out on the bike. The area around Rhossili has criss-crossed with bridleways, which was perfect for me on the bike. I'll admit, some of the terrain was terrifying, but I managed to stay in the saddle most of the time, and the only injuries I procured were rather a lot of cuts from brambles.






So, there we go; a solo trip to the Gower, and it was wonderful. My advice? Go there! It's beautiful, with plenty of trails to explore on bike and on foot, and around every corner is another view to make you stop and stare. I know I'll be going back, and soon ...


...cheers!

Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing brought back happy memories

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A quick tour of Leyburn's old police station

Grimm in Hawes - 7 October 2023

Aldwin Fothergill’s grandma’s oat biscuits