Apple pie and cheddar

Now, apple pie is a classic pud and I’m sure everyone has their own version. So I’m not going to claim that the recipe I used is a traditional family secret passed down through the generations. In fact, due to a lack of time and general lack of organisation on the weekend, I ended up using this recipe from the BBC Good Food website. And I would say that it all turned out good (even though I would normally use the ‘rubbing in’ method to make short crust pastry rather than the method used in this recipe).
 

One thing I did learn, though, is that you can’t just replace ‘normal’ plain flour with gluten-free plain flour when making shortcrust pastry! I didn’t have enough plain flour so I reached for the gluten-free option in the cupboard (none of us here are gluten intolerant but some friends and family are so we always have some to hand). It turned out that this wasn’t the best idea as it produced a very sticky, difficult-to-work pastry. Still, I didn’t have any other option but to use it (I mean I could have popped to the shops, but we're in the middle of a heatwave here and I was feeling lazy). I was slightly nervous waiting for it to cook but it turned out much better than expected (not a soggy bottom in sight!). I’ve since looked and seen that most gluten free recipes include xantham gum, which I presume produces a more workable end result.
 
 
On the cheese front, I didn’t pull any punches and went straight for my favourite ‘GlastonburyTwanger’. A proper strong cheddar made in a small village close to Glastonbury. I have to admit, everyone who recommended it was right. The sweet, cinnamon-y taste of the pie was perfect with the creamy intense taste of the Twanger. Topped off, of course, with a good book and a mug of Yorkshire Tea! Maybe I should find some way to work this into the next book...?
 
 

 

If you fancy trying this recipe, then you can find it on the BBC Good Food website!

And if you have another other favourite cake and cheese combinations (stilton and Battenburg anyaone?), drop me a line at dciharrygrimm@hotmail.com and I might just try and bake them :)


Comments

  1. Not tried Glastonbury Twanger yet, not sure if they sell it in Bradford but will look out for it. Apple pie with cheese was always served at home, and still is though my southerner husband was agast when it first appeared! Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A quick tour of Leyburn's old police station

Grimm in Hawes - 7 October 2023

Aldwin Fothergill’s grandma’s oat biscuits