A new year's trip to see Mr Holmes

Well, back in January, I decided that a good way to start the year would be with a little work trip to that there London. So off I headed on the train to visit a few places, including the Sherlock Holmes Museum.

I immediately enjoyed the bustle of London. It’s very different to being out in the Somerset countryside, perfect for people watching and eating good food.

Completely by accident, I ended up staying in a hotel in the same street where the Bow Street Runners were started, which I’m sure you know are generally considered London’s first professional police force. There is a museum, but I didn’t have time to visit, so this is definitely on the cards for later in the year. 

Lamp oustide the Bow
Street Runners museum

Before dropping by on Sherlock and Watson, I went to the Marquis pub, which has an amazing history, including the time when a highwayman was captured on the premises and later sentenced to hang at Tyburn, the most commonly used location for executions for individuals from the City of London (itself a fascinating and gruesome location, it always amazes me how history there is on every corner of London). On a cheerier note, the Marquis was also a favourite haunt of one Mr. Charles Dickens.

To get into the Sherlock Holmes museum you first have to buy a ticket in the shop, which seemed to be filled with people buying the usual badges and whatnot as well as pipes and deer stalker hats, and yes, I resisted the temptation! You then have to queue outside and wait to be let in by a friendly chap in period police costume.

Me and the 'Fuzz'

The museum itself very small and cosy. I’d be quite happy to live there surrounded by all that crazy Victoriana. The first room you go into is fabulous. In fact, I immediately wanted to sit down and start writing. But, alas, I’m sure I would have been moved on quite quicky. This room is where Sherlock and his trusty sidekick Dr Watson would meet with clients, and it’s designed to accurately reflect the room in the stories. It’s crammed full of interesting stuff like a pipe rack on the wall and there’s even a little area for Sherlock to do his science experiments. There’s also an infamous ‘wall of fame’ showing photos of major criminals of the period.

Pipes? Yes please!
I could write here for hours!
 
A rum looking lot
 

Elementary, my dear...
The next room contained a box with a disguise kit full of hats and other items. Again, I resisted temptation….

Dr Watson also has his own room, just as impressive and cosy with adesk and various other bits and bobs, including a cabinet with various other items from the stories, such as a pistol hidden in a book.

The room at top of building is full of quite terrible wax figures (which was a personal highlight for me)! So, obviously, I needed to get a selfie with the man himself. I think the odd looking chap in the scarlet
smoking jacket is Moriarty, but I’m not too sure now. There were lots of others too, including a bizarre tableau of someone falling out of the ceiling! They are all scenes and characters from the books – so do you, dear reader, recognise any? (I don’t!)

Me and the big man

Errr....
Moriarty maybe...

Nope. No idea either.

Ma'am
Yes, can I help you?
 

Directly next door is the Beatles museum, which looked quite rundown. I didn’t go in because (controversial, I know) I don’t like the Beatles!

Boo to the Beatles!

Anyway, it was a cracking trip, a great way to blow away the cobwebs after Christmas and the perfect opportunity to get some inspiration for future stories. Huzzah!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A quick tour of Leyburn's old police station

Grimm in Hawes - 7 October 2023

Aldwin Fothergill’s grandma’s oat biscuits